DUE WEDNESDAY, 3/4, VIA EMAIL TO KKOTHMAN
Read all of Chapter 1 in E/E, and answer the following questions:
- How did Gray’s Musical Telegraph create sound vibrations? (What initiated the vibration, and what vibrated?
- What was the title of the important book on sound that Helmholtz published in 1863, and how did he demonstrate the production of complex tones?
- How did Cahill’s Telharmonium produce sound vibrations? His business plan for transmitting live music directly into homes and businesses foreshadowed what later industries?
- What were the significant drawbacks of the Telharmonium that led to its demise.
- Futurists’ calls for militancy in art can be seen as anticipating what later political movement (or form of government).
- Name the author and year for The Art of Noise.
- What is the function of a vacuum tube, and why is it important for electronic music.
- When was the Theremin invented? And why was John Cage so upset with the typical Theremin performer? (just a little, not the whole paragraph)
- How was pitch controlled on the Ondes Martenot?
- How was the Hammond organ similar to the Telharmonium?
- What was radical about the Trautonium?
- Where was the tape recorder developed, and when did it become more widely available? (Any thoughts about why it wasn’t widely available before this date?)